l Mosquito Eyebrows on Toast: Yes. More Gerbera Daisies. trav

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Yes. More Gerbera Daisies.


I did a vignette blur on this macro shot. Exposure:1/2 sec Aperture:f 3.2 ISO:100

I used to be really artistic. I used to draw and I did calligraphy all the time. Then I became a drafter for a living. I’m talking a looong time ago when drafters used to spread lead the old fashioned way: with a pencil. This was before computers could fit in the average home let alone in an office. You know, the dark ages. Anyway, once I started drawing for work, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home, was draw. As for the calligraphy, well that one’s pretty obvious. Most people have boatloads of fonts on their computers so really, what’s the point.
So years go by and I decide I want to try and reclaim my creativity. I open up our trusty adult education catalog and peruse the myriad possibilities. Hmmmm….plastic wreath making. Uh, no. Light catching crystal bead bangle bracelet making. Uh, no. Beginning drawing with charcoal. Okay. Now we’re getting somewhere. However, as I can not make it through the day without getting something on my clothes, this sounds dangerous so l look further. And then I see it. Photography. Beginning Photography. Hmmmm…...I never considered that before but heck! I like taking pictures. The rest as they say, is history.
I was hooked from the first day. I loved it! I didn’t understand it, but I loved it nonetheless. I accidentally took pictures I liked and that was good enough for me. The people in the class were, for the most part, kind of like a blog gang without the blog. They had been taking the class over and over and over for many semesters. They were basically a club. It was cool. They made me feel at home and this is important to me, as we all know by now. I actually met one of my best friends in the class. The lovely and waaaay talented Justyna: http://creativeartworks.cc/d_160_14.html . (And to those of you paying attention, yes she did steal my angel and yes, her composition is better). The teacher was one of those overgrown boy-men. A man with braces, hair hanging in his eyes and tons and tons of energy. I really liked him and his vibe. It seemed a safe place to learn. That is was. A little too safe actually. The teacher wanted his acolytes to love photography (and him) and as such, he couldn’t get a constructive sentence out of his mouth. Sometimes I could see him try. I would see his mouth form the word “Mediocre” but he just couldn’t spit it out. He would say, “This photograph…” and you’d see the battle begin in his face. Should he tell the truth? Tell someone that their photo was no better than the average snapshot and that “perhaps they might want to pay some modicum of attention in class”? He just didn’t have it in him. He said everything was great. There is something to be said for that. It certainly made me feel like a genius. At least while I was in his class.
I’m on my own now. And that’s where you all come in. That’s why I need your input and judgment and comments both good and bad. Tell me where you think my strengths are and my weaknesses as well. Tell me when I’ve gone too far. Or not far enough. That’s the only way we get better. Do keep in mind that I am taking a Photoshop class! Please don’t be like my sweet teacher. Spit it out!

9 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this...not your typical daisy shot....nicely done.

And here's my photoshop advice: Less is more. PS is a tool, not a necessity, so learn it, but dont let yourself become dependent on it.

PS-I find your energy very refreshing :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Puppatina said...

Thanks Chantal, for both your kind words and your advice regarding PS. The photo straight outta the camera isn't even that much different. I tried to add it to this post but as this is Blogger, it just ain't happening. I think I'm going to find a new blog tool. I want one that will let me add my own graphics. Since I still have nothing to do at work, I'm really going to do it. Any ideas?

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger micki said...

I love the story! Great to know the whys and hows.

I don't know anything about PS, but I like what you created.

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My photoblog is powered by Expressions (www.my-expressions.com). They have several templates that you can choose from, but if you go into the 'advanced' mode, you can customize anyway you like. It's free for the first 30 days, and only $3 a month after that.

A lot of people use pixel-post too, so I think either of those are fine. I also have a writing blog in Blogger, which is fine, but I think some of the other hosts are better suited for an image based blog.

Take a look at whats out there, let me know what you come up with :)

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Sidney said...

It is very difficult to argue about photographs. It is a bit like Art.
What you like as subject, I might dislike. I see thousands of pictures a month and only a few that really moves me.
And be happy ! ;-), one of them is yours.
(The Littlest Fan - August 28, 2006)
but I need to confess I am not moved by the Gerbera Daisies. I will forget them immediately but your small child I will remember for a long long time.

My advice. Take pictures of what YOU like. Don't look at what other expect. Be yourself. If you like people photograph people, if you like flowers photograph flowers.
Photography must be fun.

I disagree with Chantal. Photoshop is a great tool. ALL my pictures are post-processed with PS.

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Puppatina

First I love all your three newly posted shot, they are all very nicely composed and it has your "fingerprints..."

I absolutely like your writing to it and I go with you here, all the feedback is helping (you/me us all) to improve and that is what we long for, we want to move on and go deeper with what ever we do.

I agree with Sidney, it is important that you and we all take the pictures we like, get inspired from the shots we see on all those bloggs and in the end that we never forget to go beyond our limits,(I guess I am talking to myself...).

with PS that is for me a tool (which I don't know so much about yet, my son started teaching me) and this tool is only as creative as I am, sometimes shots need a bit more post work and sometimes not.

My guess is that if we stick to "that’s how it's supposed to be" then we miss maybe a nice creative input from the Gods. I am sure that this is not an issue for you and I am being inspired and touched by the pictures you share with us.

Thank you

Diya

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger PhotoSam said...

Photoshop is personal to everyone.....and thats what i like, thats why its always tough to measure someones processing...u just take the image as a whole and rate it....IF i had processed this shot i would say its a bit too wedding-cardy but the softness is still nice....8/10
cool rating=3/10

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Puppatina said...

Awww now, Samarth, I think the fact that these flowers are brown at the tips should up my cool factor to at least a 4! ;-)

 
At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love this photo, I think the blur is fantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home