l Mosquito Eyebrows on Toast: Miss Aggie and the Hawthorn Tree trav

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Miss Aggie and the Hawthorn Tree


I took the 2 pictures that make up this collage when I worked at a cemetery.
I loved that job because of the history but it was a really small place so it was pretty slow and we know how much I love being bored at work….
They had some great old death certificates and I loved reading through them.
My favorite was a young woman called Aggie McClay. She died in the early 1900s at the age of 28. The death certificate is amazing; gorgeous calligraphy that makes Dysentery look like something you’d want to have. She was an inmate of the California State Insane Asylum. I have often wondered what that said about Aggie. In those days a young woman could end up in an asylum for not wanting to get married! Imagine!

I spent a lot of time just roaming the grounds shooting pictures.
These 2 are of the same Hawthorn tree on a rainy day. This is a pretty old picture and I can’t remember what processes I used on it. I really like it though.

I still think of Miss Aggie.

1 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this a lot. The framing is perfect, beautiful contrast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home