l Mosquito Eyebrows on Toast: A terrible picture of some very awesome LAVA! trav

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A terrible picture of some very awesome LAVA!


Here's the lava!
I would love suggestions on how I could have pulled this off. I set a tiny aperature and it didn't seem to make much difference whether I did a long or short exposure. They all looked pretty much the same. There was tons of steam which made it look really cool as it reflected the actual lava as it flowed into the ocean but it was really hard to photograph. I usually do pretty good with night shots but this was very difficult. I took about 20 pictures in between being totally awed and yelling out things like, "WOOOOAH!" and "SO COOL!" and "LAVA! REAL LAVA!".
Let me know what you would have done differently please. You never know when you may get a chance to photograph a volcano so we can all hopefully learn something.

6 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger PhotoSam said...

having no experience in the area myself, i really can't tell you how to improve the shot...Can you believe it?...IT"S REAL LAVA!!!!!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Puppatina said...

YAR!!!! REAL LAVA!!!!!!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger micki said...

When WE go together some day, (I need an experienced guide and someone fun to go tour with) we'll do our research on how to shoot lava at night. (Gosh that does sound like a challenge.) Just earlier today I started to do some studying on night time photography. It's my understanding that slide film is best for the subject, that you have to bracket like crazy, and that wide open apertures are best. Don't know if any of that applies here. Cool shot, though! I can't wait to see this in person.

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've missed some lovely photos. I need to catch up on things.

Hmmm...lava, I'd love to experiment taking shots of that. Beautiful!

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Sidney said...

Never saw lava (for real) in my entire life! I am afraid I can't help. It must be hot out there. I hope your camera didn't melted... ;-)

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would I have done differently? probably tucked my tail between me legs and fled like the coward I am.

Then whipped out my 1 million mm lens to take picture. :)

Suby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home